Would you like some nifty energy saving ideas?
If you plan ahead, you’ll reap what you sow. Our experienced team has helped compile a list of solutions that can call an end to high energy bills and cold houses.
- Switch your energy supplier. Either if you feel you’re overpaying or if you haven’t done it for a while, there are some serious savings to be made.
- Fill gaps between old floorboards.
- Swap to LED lighting. Changing old-fashioned tungsten bulbs for LED can instantly reduce electricity consumption.
- Review your current heating system. An annual service is important to ensure your boiler is working as well as it should, but if it’s more than 10 years old you should consider replacing it with an efficient condensing model, which can save you up to £305 per year.
- Check your radiators. If they are colder at the top than at the bottom this means there could be trapped air in the system. Bleeding them is a straightforward task. If, however, the top of the radiator is hot and the bottom cold, or generally they aren’t that warm, then there is probably sludge in the system that needs flushing out.
- Draught proof doors and windows.
- Insulate the loft. Around a quarter of a home’s heat is lost through an uninsulated roof space, but this is fairly easy to improve with adequate insulation.
- Add smart heating controls. With the top models capable of learning your heating behaviours it’s perfect for shaving the pounds off your energy bill.
- Invest in green energy such as solar panels.
- Install an energy efficient stove. Wood-burning stoves are sealed to a room. This means they use less fuel and radiate the heat throughout the room, making them a great idea.
- Block your chimney. There are easy solutions to fix this problem.
- Insulate your walls and floors. It is estimated that 35 per cent of an uninsulated building’s heat can be lost through the walls, but this is disruptive to address in older buildings.
Be careful when considering bigger jobs such as your heating and plumbing, easy fixes can be straightforward but always call in the professionals for the more complex jobs.
So get in touch with Farringdons in London today, either via our contact form or call the team direct on 0770 220 8429.
Thanks to Real Homes for their feature input.